Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bedard to Mariners for Jones, Others

According to the Seattle Times, Mariners outfielder Adam Jones is leaving Venezuela to fly to Baltimore to take a physical. Obviously this means a deal is near completion, but for who?: "(Bill Bavasi) called me yesterday and told me the news. I've got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best. Last year he finished up as arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He's that good, so for me it's an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think now I am, I'm going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball." Since George Sherill has not been told anything, I doubt he is involved. Last season, Bedard went 13-5 with a 3.16 ERA and 221 K before his season was ended short by injury. Yes there is risk bringing him in because scouts think his arm is just about ready to explode, but adding him to the rotation puts them back in contention with the Angels in the AL West. Jones, 22, has hit .230 in 73 major league games for the Mariners, but this track record suggests that he will be a superstar. I can't say I do not disagree with that, but I think we will see what Jones truly has to offer in 2009. 2008 will merely be a transition year for Jones, who should see some success, but I expect to see him really shine by 2009.

UPDATE: ACCORDING TO EXECUTIVES IN BOTH THE ORIOLES AND MARINERS FRONT OFFICE, THE DEAL FOR ERIK BEDARD IS NOT DONE. WHAT THIS MEANS IS THAT SOMEONE JUMPED THE GUN. MY GUESS IS THAT THE DEAL IS VERY CLOSE TO BEING DONE, BUT THEY ARE STILL WORKING ON THE FINAL PLAYERS AND CASH THAT WILL BE GOING TO THE MARINERS AND ORIOLES.

UPDATE 2: ACCORDING TO MLB.com, THE MARINERS WILL SEND ADAM JONES, GEORGE SHERILL, CHRIS TILLMAN, AND A PLAYER TO BE NAMED LATER FOR ERIK BEDARD.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

idiot bavasi

Anonymous said...

Adam Jones will not start in the minors this year, if that's what you're saying (?).

Anonymous said...

i like this trade, I do not think Bavasi got fleeced...it would be even better if m's could land jason bay in another deal though.

Anonymous said...

I am saying Bavasi paid too much for a "maybe" ace

Swazi said...

Idiot Bavasi? What're you talking about? It gives Seattle the stud Ace pitcher they desperately needed to compliment Hernandez and take some of the pressure off him. AN it takes HoRam out of the picture for a starting spot.

Jones to me looks like he will develope into a Mike Cameron, which is an alright player, but for Bedard, a great deal for Seattle. I'm also happy that Morrow didn't go in the deal, and if he doesn't start can be an effective setup man.

And when Sexson's terrible contract expires at the end of the year, we extend Bedard to a multi-year contract.

Balentine, who is also a highly thought of prospect will take Jone's place if we don't go into free agency.

Bedard
Hernandez
Silva
Washburn
Batista

That looks alot better to me than

Hernandez
washburn
Batista
Ramirez
Weaver

Yeah....alot better...

And then a lineup without Jones:

Ichiro
Lopez
Beltre
Ibanez
Sexson
Johjima
Vidro
Betancourt
Balentine

Its the EXACT SAME LINEUP AS LAST YEAR except for right field. And hopefully Sexson won't suck like he did this year.

So take the offensive production from last year, and put in a MUCH improved starting rotation. I honestly think the Mariners can take the division now.

rightwingrick said...

This is NOT a bad trade for the M's.

Jones has a skill set for CF, but Ichiro is there; so Jones can be replaced by Balentien and (later) Saunders in LF or RF. Tillman's loss is tempered by keeping Morrow and having Aumont and Butler still in the mix, both LHP; and Sherrill is about 31 and came from the Independent League...he's replaceable by a number of about-ready LHP including RR Smith, R Rorbaugh, R Fierabend, Jake Woods, Cesar Jimenez.

If Butler AND Tillman are in the deal, then the M's gave too much. Same if Triunfel is in the deal (which I doubt).

Anonymous said...

This not a done deal not yet Batimore Baseball owner Peter Angelos have not aprove this deal not yet

Anonymous said...

wow...glad too know I am surrounded by intelligent baseball people in Seattle.