Friday, January 11, 2008

Mets Trade Report "False"

Several reports that said the Mets were close to acquiring Johan Santana are reportedly false, according to one NL source. He said the Mets were never willing to part with five of their top prospects, and that is as far as it got. Maybe it got blown out of proportion. I think they would have been willing to part with three, and then add in two low-level guys, but probably not five. That does not mean a deal is not going to happen, but I think it is farther away than everybody thinks. As for the Yankees, I'm sure Hank Steinbrenner wants back in. However, I think teams are starting to realize that they are better off waiting until he becomes a free agent. The Twins do not have the money to resign Johan Santana, and I'm sure teams would happily sacrifice a draft pick instead of five top prospects. This is far from over, but I think teams realize they are better off waiting for him to hit the market than offer up all their prospects, and sign him to a mega-deal.

Rangers close to deal with Jennings:
The Rangers are closing in on a deal with free agent pitcher Jason Jennings. Jennings pitched with the Astros last season so isn't going far in 2008.

A's Join Cameron Race:
The Mike Cameron race is heating up with the Brewers, Yankees, and now the Athletics joining in. He might get a better deal after all now that his demand is high. They are also interested in Rondell White and Reggie Sanders, but probably at minor-league deals.

Brewers shopping Bill Hall?: The Brewers are reportedly trying to trade Bill Hall. They have interest in Pedro Feliz, and if they sign him, could move Braun to left. I think they will only trade Hall if they sign Mike Cameron.

Indians rename Jacobs Field: Welcome to Progressive Field, Home of the Cleveland Indians. Hmm...not bad. Let me hear from some Indians fans on this one...

15 comments:

KevinGillman said...

Indians field being named Progressive Field? It will always be Jacobs Field to me. Though I will say it could have been a worst name, so kudos to that. Too bad I switched my car insurance to Geico though.

Tribe Fan said...

As a big Indians fan, I named my son (who is now 13 months old) Jacob. It's going to be strange now calling him by his new nickname, Progressive.

Adam Smith said...

Progressive Field, huh? Could be worse. Corporations already own America in every sense of the word anyway and is it any worse than the fact that taxpayers subsidize MLB by essentially building their "factories" for them. Can we just be honest and, as much as we love it, call the sport what it really is...a government sanctioned cartel. Selling stadium naming rights is the least of our problems.

Anonymous said...

Not really feeling the new name but I am feeling the 3.6 million dollars annually we will be getting for the next 16 years b/c of it. Maybe we can throw some of that money at C.C. and keep him around to dominate the division for another 5 years! Go Tribe!

KevinGillman said...

and they can pick up Jason Bay...LOL

Anonymous said...

How is it the Indians are only getting 3.6 million/year for 16 years for naming rights? The mets are getting 20 million/year for 20 years. The Indians are getting lowballed there.

Anonymous said...

Better check the new rumor that the Brewers have agreed to a contract with Cameron, 1yr $6Mish

Anonymous said...

Are you seriously wondering why the Mets got a better stadium-naming deal than the Indians? Dude, it's called market size. The NY metro area has something like 12-14 million people. How many does Cleveland have?

Anonymous said...

They could have gotten 15% or more by switching to Geico.

Anonymous said...

15% or more by switching to Geico - that's hilarious! Not crazy about Progressive Field. It will always be "The Jake" to me!

Eli said...

Yeah, I think anyone who follows the Indians from 2007 and back will know it as the jake. but from now on, new fans will call it progressive field.

KevinGillman said...

How about this Eli...Progressive Field at Jacobs Field...LOL

Eli said...

Yeah, that what I think will happen at Wrigley Field...whoever will buy it, will make it (ex) National City's Wrigley Field. So I think it is a possibility.

KevinGillman said...

that gives me an idea, check my site soon.

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time believing the Mets make 20 Mil per year.