Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jake Peavy Exclusive Part III


In the final installment of my exclusive interview with Jake Peavy, we talked about Kevin Towers and his time with the Padres. Little did we know that just a week after we talked, he would have to make a major career decision. I want to try out this new interview format for upcoming interviews, and I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment to let me know what you think of it.

Jake Peavy on Kevin Towers and the Padres front office

“I certainly have the utmost respect for Kevin [Towers]. He’s done a tremendous job through the years that I have been here. When the guys been given some money to spend – a competive payroll, so to speak – he’s put a very competitive team on the field. We’ve won a couple division titles since I have been here, competed down to the last days in ’04, ’05, and ’06. We played in a play-in game in ’07. With him mixing and matching talent and personality. It has been a great relationship.”

Jake Peavy on his time with the Padres and what the future will look like

“I certainly understand that I need to bring an attitude and a certain type of leadership to this team. I’m the longest tenured guy with the Padres here. It is very weird for me to say because it feels like yesterday that I was one of the youngest players in the clubhouse. We are starting over here, we are rebuilding. We have a lot of young guys searching and we need to be showing hopefully how to go about your business the right way. I certainly try to do that along with David Eckstein and some other guys."

This story was approved by MLB Rumors.

No comments: