Friday, April 13, 2007

Indians Lock Up Westbrook

The Indians sign Jake Westbrook to a three year extension, worth 33 million dollars. Westbrook, who was the subject of trades with the Cubs this off season, was hoping to get a deal done during Spring Training, but is perfectly happy with his new deal. The deal holds no options, so the Indians will have Westbrook, one of the most consistent pitchers in the AL, til the 2010 off season. He says that contract talks really weighed him down so far this season, as it shows, he is 0-1 in one in two starts with a 7.36 ERA. "It comes down to how comfortable I am here," he said. "Not only for myself, but my family. We have an 18-month-old son [Parker] growing up. We felt very comfortable here, and [the Indians] made a huge effort to get the number I wanted." The past three years, Westbrook has had fourteen or more wins and an ERA under 4.50.

3 comments:

KevinGillman said...

I loved this move, and even though it might appear CC could be gone, we still have two years to see what he wants and maybe offer it to him. I say we sign Hafner to an extension sometime this year too and this Westbrook signing will help.

Eli said...

the sooner the, the cheaper...he could have one MVP last year if he didnt get injured

KevinGillman said...

I don't think he would have been considered because we were out of the race, but he would have finished in the top 10. I think he finished 3rd or 4th in 2005 in the voting, so yeah he always has a shot as long as we're contending I think. He could have had 50 HR's though if he had been healthy last season and he also would have broken the MLB record for most grand slams in a season. The ironic thing is the day after he got hurt, his replacement, Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam in his first AB...LOL