Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Interview with Matt Hirsh

Matt Hirsh is a pitcher on the York Revolution in the Atlantic League and is the younger brother of Rockies pitcher Jason Hirsh. He and his brother run Brothers in Arms, a site run by them where they talk about each other as their season goes on. It is updated often, and you can contact them too. I want to thank Matt for donating his time to answer my questions via email.


ELI: What was it like growing up playing baseball? Were you and your brother dominant players?

MATT: Growing up and playing baseball was very fun and exciting for me. I had so much fun playing travel ball because I got to travel all across the nation to New York, Florida, Minnesota, Michigan, Nevada, Arizona, Iowa, and a few other states to play in different tournaments. I don't know if dominant is the right word but we were both very good at a young age and were able to keep up with kids who were older than us.

ELI: Who do you thank for you success in baseball?

MATT: I thank my brother and my father for my success in baseball. Without them I wouldn't be where I am today.

ELI: Besides baseball, do you play any other sports?

MATT: No, I do not play any other sports besides baseball.

ELI: What do you like to do during your free time?

MATT: In my free time I like to hang out with my friends, surf the Internet, play video games, and keep my website www.hirshbrothers.com updated.

ELI: Which professional player has taught you the most since becoming a
professional yourself?

MATT: I would have to say Roger Clemens. He gave me some good words of wisdom when I had a chance to talk to him while I was playing in Greeneville.

ELI: If you weren't a pitcher, what position would you want to play?

MATT: Right field. I was an outfielder in high school and had to make a choice to pitch or play outfield in college, but if I had the opportunity I would love to play outfield because I love to hit.

ELI:
Being born in California, if given the opportunity, would you like to go
and pitch in your home state?

MATT: Who wouldn't? I would love to pitch for my hometown. My brother just
recently did that as he pitched against the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

ELI :What was it like being drafted by the Astros? Was it something you expected to happen?

MATT: Being drafted by the Astros was very exciting for me. I knew that maybe
someday I would have the opportunity to pitch along side my brother but unfortunately he was traded and I was released. I had a feeling that the Astros were going to draft me when I talked to the scout that signed me. It was down to a few teams but I had a feeling that they were going to take me.

No comments: